Sunday, May 15, 2022

2021 Books List


Been waiting too long to get my books list up, so here it is for 2021. I won't discuss every book, but will highlight a few groups to talk about. The ones that I don't mention are those that were good, but didn't stick out in any meaningful way. They simply didn't merit any special censure or distinction from the rest.

  1. Code of the Woosters---PG Wodehouse

  2. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas---Frederick Douglas

  3. Big Data---Viktor Mayer Schonberger and Kenneth Cukier

  4. Tenant of Wildfell Hall---Anne Bronte

  5. We Die Alone---David Howarth

  6. Evil Under the Sun---Agatha Christie

  7. How to Destroy America in Three Easy Steps---Ben Shapiro

  8. White Guilt---Shelby Steele

  9. The Next Mormons---Jana Riess

  10. The Orphan Keeper---Cameron Wright

  11. Up From Slavery---Booker T. Washington

  12. Friday the Rabbi Slept Late---Harry Kemelman

  13. Lost and Found---Orson Scott Card

  14. Coming Apart---Charles Murray

  15. A Thousand Miles to Freedom---Eunsun Kim

  16. Ender's World---Orson Scott Card

  17. Fahrenheit 451---Ray Bradbury

  18. A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and the Great War---Joseph Loconte

  19. Jeeves in the Offing---PG Wodehouse

  20. Revolutionary Summer---Joseph Ellis

  21. Last Boat Out of Shanghai---Helen Zia

  22. Have Spacesuit, Will Travel---Robert Heinlein

  23. How Innovation Works---Matt Ridley

  24. The Martian Chronicles---Ray Bradbury

  25. Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates---Brian Kilmeade

  26. The Adventurer's Son---Roman Dial

  27. The Body in the Library---Agatha Christie

  28. Escape from Camp 14---Blaine Harden

  29. The Rational Bible: Genesis---Denis Prager

  30. The Stowaway---Laurie Gwen Shapiro

  31. Pioneering the Vote---Neylan McBaine

  32. Dune---Frank Herbert

  33. Irreversible Damage---Abigail Shrier

  34. Father of Lions---Louise Callaghan

  35. Quiet---Susan Cain

  36. Humble Pi---Matt Parker

  37. When You Trap a Tiger---Tae Keller

  38. The Scientist and the Spy---Mara Hvistendahl

  39. Esperanza Rising---Pam Munoz Ryan

  40. We Have Been Harmonized---Kai Strittmatter

  41. Scary Stories for Young Foxes---Christian McKay Heidicker

  42. The Price We Pay---Marty Makary

  43. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them---J.K. Rowling

  44. Travels with George---Nathaniel Philbrick

  45. Sorcery and Cecilia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot---Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer

  46. The Authoritarian Moment--- Ben Shapiro

  47. Mr. Popper's Penguins---Richard and Florence Atwater

  48. The Christmas Pig---JK Rowling

  49. The Library Book---Susan Orlean

  50. Mr. Dickens and His Carol---Samantha Silva

  51. The Cost of Discipleship---Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  52. The Grand Tour or the Purloined Coronation Regalia---Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer

  53. The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years Later---Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevemer

  54. Christmas on Mill Street---Joseph Walker

  55. The Doctrine and Covenants

  56. Greenglass House---Kate Milford

  57. The Ghosts of Greenglass House---Kate Milford

  58. From the Earth to the Moon---Jules Verne


I guess I will start with the books I found disappointing for various reasons. The first that would fall into that category for me was #24, The Martian Chronicles. It really wasn't like what I expected. I've been a fan of Ray Bradbury for quite a while. I read Fahrenheit 451 again this year, for instance, which is quite an excellent book. I also think Dandelion Wine is a great book. I expected a more explicitly sci-fi story from this author I've previously enjoyed would hit it out of the ballpark for me. Unfortunately, the sci-fi part let me down. It really isn't sci-fi so much as it is horror, and horror is not a genre I care for all that much. Basically, it's a collection of loosely connected short stories with a bunch of crazy Martians repeatedly killing astronauts and sometimes each other as well. As a special added bonus, there are also humans killing other humans as a treat! I will say that there were a few decent stories in which I can't remember as much killing. Also, it's a well-written book with some interesting themes and ideas, which is why I finished it. Overall, however, horror is really just not for me and I didn't particularly enjoy it. If I had gone into it expecting horror, perhaps I would have felt less disappointed.

The next disappointing book was in in some ways the biggest letdown of all. It's #32, Dune. I admit, I might have enjoyed this book marginally more if it weren't for the general hype about it. The hype factor was greater due to the first movie version in a long time coming out later in the year. In fact, the hype tied into the movie debut was part of what made me finally pick it up. The other element is that was a big turn off for me is that there are pretty much no likable characters. At best, I felt pretty indifferent about them, and I actively disliked virtually all the main characters. This fact makes it pretty difficult for me to enjoy a book. I also found the world super unappealing. I wasn't interested in learning more about it because almost every new facet revealed was unappealing. I wished this world didn't exist, so how could I feel invested in its future? If you like angsty, violent druggies, then it's awesome. If not, there's not much to like. There were a couple things that were interesting. I think a desert world is a cool setting, and it no doubt influenced Tatooine and other later sci-fi. I also thought the sandworms were an interesting monster. Overall, I don't think this book aged well. It was certainly the product of the rising hippie culture at the time it was written. Supposedly, it was one of the first that delved deeply into worldbuilding in sci-fi, which is why it's a sci-fi classic. People say that, but you had others doing similar stuff at the same time or earlier, it seems to me. Fantasy certainly did that a lot (think J.R.R. Tolkien) and the Foundation Trilogy was published earlier, for instance. The other books in the series are reportedly worse, so I can safely say I will never return to the world of Dune.

I also didn't care for Mr. Dickens and His Carol. I actually don't remember a ton about it, because I blocked it out, but it was definitely disappointing. I was looking for an uplifting Christmas book, but this one was kind of a downer. It was basically about Charles Dickens having family problems and an affair with a pretty bleak resolution, as I remember. The saving grace was that it was quite short, and obviously passed without making much impression, but for me, it was a Christmas book failure.

There are some themes to the books I liked the best, so I will present them in that way. First off is the books about China. I really enjoyed #21 Last Boat Out of Shanghai. It is the story of four different individuals from Shanghai who managed to escape the Communist takeover of China and went to different places interwoven together. One of the people is the author's mother, so that was cool to have a family history element. Each story was pretty gripping too. It also painted a sad, though interesting picture of China during the Cultural Revolution. This is a period I'm pretty interested in, so it was great to get these stories of people who lived through it.

The second book that really stuck out was also about China, though this time it was about modern China. It's #40 We Have Been Harmonized. This book focused on the creepy ways China uses technology to control people today. Basically, they watch everything people do, especially when they are online, but also just in their normal lives. If you do anything the government doesn't like, they basically shut down your entire life. Your social (and literal also) credit immediately takes a serious hit and not just you can no longer do normal things like access your bank, travel, or sometimes, even work, but everyone else you know is also devalued because they know you. So there's this weird hierarchy of where everyone sits and what they are able to do as a result. There was also a lot of discussion on how China is outstripping the US specifically and the West more broadly in developing AI technology because they are invested in this creepy oversight stuff and wish to weaponize it. The book was very well written and researched and gave me a lot of interesting things to think about. It made me very grateful to live in a free country. I also became more committed to keeping it that way and taking the Chinese head-on in technology innovation. In the book, they refer to the Chinese technology system as dragonfly eyes, because dragonflies have really complex eyes that see everything in crazy in-depth ways, which is what China already largely does and is trying to build further. While I was listening to the book, a dragonfly happened to get into my car and was baked on my driver-side dashboard. So the practically the whole time I was listening to the book, I had dead dragonfly eyes staring at me. It was creepy. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore and had to get the dead dragonfly out. It was too weird!

The second set of books that had a big impact on me addressed elements of our own culture in interesting/alarming ways. First of these was #33 Irreversible Damage. This book discusses the rise in transgenderism in girls when it had previously mostly impacted boys. Among the girls, it spreads like a disease, with one girl coming out as transgender followed by all the girls in her group coming to the same conclusion. There were also discussions of various transgender people and how they have been affected by their decisions. Some were happy about it, others suffered pretty terrible consequences. Additionally, there were descriptions of what the transitioning therapies and surgeries are like. It still makes me pretty queasy to think about it. It's pretty intense and often doesn't work super well. While it's hard to say that the author didn't have a dog in the fight, she really was pretty objective about it. She represented both sides pretty fairly, showing the benefits people find in transitioning along with the negative effects it causes. I felt much better versed about the issue after reading the book.

The second book in this category was #42 The Price We Pay, which is about the American healthcare system. It covers why the system is messed up and innovative ways various people are working to make it better. One of the ideas I really liked was a hospital that puts actual price tags on every service they provide, so individuals can make informed decisions about their care. This helps to address the issue of predatory hospitals that end up saddling people with huge debts they can't afford. I hope more hospitals will take this route so we can have greater transparency in healthcare. The opacity of the system is one of the biggest problems I have with general American healthcare. I really appreciated a doctor pointing out issues and potential ways we can make meaningful free-market changes for the better.

Clearly the non-fiction tends to hit the right place for me. I could mention a lot of other non-fiction books that were great, but it would get super long. Last, I'll cover a few fiction books that stuck out. Ironically, these both fit into a holiday and children's lit bucket. I've started reading a lot of children's lit recently because I felt like I really should as a sort of job requirement. Technically, I wouldn't have to, but since I'm functioning more often as a school librarian now than I used to, I felt like I should get my children's lit more up-to-date. Generally, I still prefer adult fiction, but good children's lit is actually pretty refreshing since I've pretty much ignored it since I was a child myself. First is #41 Scary Stories for Young Foxes. I've said above that I don't really like horror, but I found this one a surprising exception. I read it over Halloween, and it seems I can sort of handle horror for children. Not sure what that says about me, probably that I'm a wuss, at least! Part of the appeal on this one was the writing, which was indeed high quality. Additionally, while there were classic horror elements, the fact that it was about foxes allowed me to feel more removed from the horror. I also liked that the story revolved around real things, like rabies. The characters were also pretty great. I was definitely rooting for them all, though sadly some of them didn't make it through the story, which kept me on my toes. Overall, a highly satisfying Halloween read I will definitely recommend to students. In fact, I have already done so!

The second holiday book is #48 The Christmas Pig. While there are some tough elements in it, namely that the kids come from a background of divorce and there is some step-sibling unkindness, overall I found it to be profoundly uplifting. There are distinct Christian overtones to it, which are always welcome in a Christmas book as far as I'm concerned. However, they aren't explicit enough to prevent a non-believer from reading it. I also found it philosophically interesting. There were abstract concepts in it that kept me thinking about it long after reading it. Plus, there's enough Rowling magic rolled in to keep Harry Potter fans engaged. Speaking of Harry Potter, while I enjoyed that series, I liked this book better. Partially, it is more succinct, which helps, but it also feels like a deeper, more personal book to me. In fact, J.K Rowling said that she'd been thinking about The Christmas Pig long before she actually wrote it. It has that feel, for sure. It is conceptually strong and feels really well paced. Apparently, this book was not super well-received, but a lot of that is due to external political factors, not about the book itself. Personally, I really enjoyed it. Another book that I enthusiastically recommend!

So that covers the low and high lights, I suppose. One of these years, I'll start rating books individually since I don't really have time to talk about them all in-depth. It's been a good year of reading overall. I'm grateful there are so many interesting things to read in this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment