Saturday, January 4, 2014

Books Read in 2013 and 2012

At the end of 2011, I read a study that discussed the reading habits of American adults that showed that the median of books read in a year is 8.  The study made me curious on how many books I read in a year.  I decided for 2012 to record all the books that I read so I could figure it out.  At the end of the year, I had read 41 books and found that I really enjoyed getting to look back over all the books that I read, so I decided to continue the project in 2013.  

I was somewhat less diligent about recording each one in 2013, so I found at least 2 books that I had forgotten at the end of the year and I may have forgotten more.  For 2013, I read 39 books total and found that I had surprisingly read quite a few books written in the last 30 years or so, which is pretty unusual for me.  A few I read were recommendations from trustworthy people.  Others, including the Percy Jackson and Ender's Game series along with Austenland were inspired by movie adaptations being released.  I often get impatient when movies are scheduled to come out based on books and rather than just waiting to read the book after watching the movie, I typically end up reading it before.  It's pretty much always a bad idea because it makes enjoy the movies less because I recognize all the errors and changes more!

Of the books I read this year, though it's a tough call, I think I can say that I enjoyed reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn most.  It's been one of my favorite books for a long time and getting to return to it after a number of years was great.  In my opinion, it is the best piece of American fiction ever written, though I admit, I'm not keen on American authors in general!

So without further ado, I'm including my list of books read for both 2013 and 2012.  Both lists only include books read entirely.  Although I've read portions of many other books, those are not shown.  The formating is terrible, which irks me, because even though it looks nice in this editor, it looks like a mess on the actual blog for some reason.  But, here it is, such as it is.

2013 Books

1.      Reality Show—The Lords and the Ladies                                                                Alan Cannon
2.      The Adventures of Tom Sawyer                                                                                Mark Twain
3.      The Winter’s Tale                                                                                        William Shakespeare
4.      The God Who Weeps                                                                           Terryl and Fiona Givens
5.      Wolf Hall                                                                                                               Hillary Mantel
6.      A Short Stay in Hell                                                                                              Steven L. Peck
7.      Bring Up the Bodies                                                                                               Hilary Mantel
8.      The Girl on the Boat                                                                                           P.G. Wodehouse
9.      The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn                                                                         Mark Twain
10.   The Gem Collector                                                                                            P.G. Wodehouse
11.   Jill the Reckless                                                                                                 P.G. Wodehouse
12.   Code of the Woosters                                                                                       P.G. Wodehouse
13.   The  Sea of Monsters                                                                                              Rick Riordan
14.   The Titan’s Curse                                                                                                    Rick Riordan
15.   The Battle of the Labyrinth                                                                                       Rick Riordan
16.   The Last Olympian                                                                                                  Rick Riordan
17.   Prometheus Bound                                                                                                       Aeschylus
18.   The Secret Adversary                                                                                         Agatha Christie
19.   The Innocence of Father Brown                                                                           GK Chesterton
20.   Austenland                                                                                                             Shannon Hale
21.   The Man Who Knew Too Much                                                                          GK Chesterton
22.   Philippine Folklore Stories                                                                            John Maurice Miller
23.   The Red House Mystery                                                                                              A.A. Milne
24.   History of Joseph Smith by His Mother                                                             Lucy Mack Smith
25.   Othello                                                                                                        William Shakespeare
26.   Ender’s Game                                                                                                  Orson Scott Card
27.   Ender in Exile                                                                                                   Orson Scott Card
28.   Ender’s Shadow                                                                                              Orson Scott Card
29.   Shadow of the Hegemon                                                                                  Orson Scott Card
30.   Shadow Puppets                                                                                              Orson Scott Card
31.   The Memoires of Sherlock Holmes                                                         Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
32.   The Wizard of Oz                                                                                                 Frank L. Baum 
33.   Shadow of the Giant                                                                                         Orson Scott Card
34.   Anne’s House of Dreams                                                                     Lucy Maude Montgomery 
35.   Shadows in Flight                                                                                             Orson Scott Card
36.   Midnight in Austenland                                                                                           Shannon Hale
37.   A Christmas Carol                                                                                             Charles Dickens
38.   As You Like It                                                                                            William Shakespeare
39.   Heart of Darkness                                                                                                Joseph Conrad

2012 Books

1.      The Aeneid                                                                                                                    Virgil
2.      The Hound of the Baskervilles(2)                                                           Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
3.      A Study in Scarlet                                                                                  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4.      The Valley of Fear                                                                                 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
5.      The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes                                                      Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
6.      The Return of Sherlock Holmes                                                             Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
7.      The Reminiscences of Sherlock Holmes                                                 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
8.      The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes                                                      Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
9.      The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes                                                          Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
10.   The Sign of Four                                                                                   Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
11.   The Lost Gate                                                                                                Orson Scott Card
12.   Wind in the Willows                                                                                      Kenneth Grahame
13.   Mike and Psmith                                                                                              P.G. Wodehouse
14.   Psmith in the City                                                                                             P.G. Wodehouse
15.   Psmith, Journalist                                                                                             P.G. Wodehouse
16.   A Man of Means                                                                                             P.G. Wodehouse
17.   The Adventures of Sally                                                                                   P.G. Wodehouse
18.   My Man Jeeves                                                                                               P.G. Wodehouse
19.   Right Ho, Jeeves                                                                                              P.G. Wodehouse
20.   Something New                                                                                               P.G. Wodehouse
21.   Leave it to Psmith                                                                                            P.G. Wodehouse
22.   Piccadilly Jim                                                                                                   P.G. Wodehouse
23.   The Princess and Curdie                                                                              George Macdonald
24.   The Princess and the Goblin                                                                         George Macdonald
25.   At the Back of the North Wind                                                                    George Macdonald
26.   The Strange History of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde                             Robert Louis Stevenson
27.   The Brothers Karamazov                                                                           Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28.   The Life of Heber C Kimball                                                                            Orson F Whitney
29.   Frankenstein                                                                                                        Mary Shelley
30.   The Haunters & The Haunted Ghost Stories                                                                     
31.   Indian Ghost Stories Second Edition
32.   The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths
33.   Grimm’s Fairy Tales
34.   Heart of Darkness                                                                                               Joseph Conrad
35.   Once Upon a Time                                                                                                      A.A. Milne
36.   The Hobbit                                                                                                             J.R.R Tolkien
37.   A Christmas Carol                                                                                              Charles Dickens
38.   The Book of Mormon
39.   The Christmas Books                                                                   William Makepeace Thackeray
40.   A Christmas Greeting                                                                            Hans Christian Andersen

41.   The Abbot’s Ghost, or Maurice Treherne’s Temptation                                    Louisa May Alcott

No comments:

Post a Comment