I'm fond of Halloween, just because I think it's a fun holiday. I don't like the horror, evil, or gross elements of it, but a little spookiness is fun in the fall. This year, Halloween was quite low-key, but I still had a lot of fun.
At work, we were encouraged to dress up. I'm quite fond of my Carmen Sandiego costume and I was too lazy/uninspired to come up with something else, so I stuck with the tried and true. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until the day of that all the running I've been doing lately must have made my calf muscles grow, so my boots, which have always been tighter than entirely comfortable, were like mini vices I was enclosing my legs in this year! Still, everything came together okay in the end. It was fun to dress up and see what everyone else had come up with.
For our work Halloween party, I made truffles to share. One variety was a delicious pumpkin recipe that I'd been wanting to try out with milk chocolate and the other was an experimental berry variety I made out of our berry powder. I wasn't sure how well those would turn out since I was just making it up as I went, but they really were quite tasty. I still preferred the pumpkin ones overall, because I'm a huge pumpkin fan, but those had some of our pumpkin powder in them too, so I felt like I wasn't cheating too much there!
The party was quite fun. There was a lot of good food and it was nice to just chat with everyone and enjoy the company of people in corporate that I don't see too often since we work in different buildings. It was also fun to get to enjoy watching the footage they'd taken earlier in the day at corporate. You can see what I mean by checking out the following video clip.
There were actually a number of really funny reactions that didn't get included in this clip. He was there for quite awhile waiting for new victims, apparently, so there was a lot to see. I missed the tail end of the trick myself, unfortunately. By the time they told me I had a package and I was able to get over there, he was getting down from his post, so I missed out. While that was good in that I got to laugh at the expense of others with no risk to myself, I think my reaction would have probably been pretty priceless as I'm quite jumpy even in normal life. I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd gotten a full taste of the prank unfiltered. It might have been interesting to see!
Our boss was nice enough to let us leave early that day too, so it was really quite a fun workday, overall. You can check out the blog post about it, if you're interested. After I went home and got a bit of dinner, I headed over to Gerrit and Elisabeth's. The kids were of course absolutely adorable in the Mario and Peach costumes Elisabeth had made for them. Gerrit had upgraded his toaster ninja (I guess that's what it is, don't ask me!) to include lights this year, which he was quite proud of.
While they all went trick-or-treating as a family, I baby-sat the house and gave candy. I also passed out powder samples to the adults. They seemed pretty excited that they were getting something too after following kids all over the neighborhood! While there was decent traffic, it was not nearly as much as there was in the same neighborhood last year when I was there. In fact, I'd say the trick-or-treaters were down by about half for some reason. I still had a good time seeing all the cute kids, though.
I'd say about 25% of the girls I saw were Elsas, as might be expected. There were a couple Annas too, but not nearly as many. Elisabeth said that those were mostly the younger sisters in families where an older sister had already claimed the Elsa costume. I was reminded of the Frozen hipster I saw dressed as Anna last Halloween. That kid was definitely ahead of the curve!
When I got home, I was in the mood for a classic Halloween movie. What I really wanted was The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I haven't seen in many years, but couldn't find it on TV anywhere. Maybe that's a good thing, as that movie, and the Boogey Man especially, kind of traumatized me as a kid! Instead, I went with a couple of episodes of The Twillight Zone which perfectly satisfied my spooky hankering for the evening. Overall, it was definitely a fun day, though a fairly uneventful one, I suppose.


No comments:
Post a Comment