I had an interesting thought when I went to the temple last week. To explain, I'd better backtrack to the Oregon family reunion a bit. As I mentioned before, one of the biggest highlights of the trip was going on the 10 waterfalls hike. While there were many gorgeous waterfa cflls to see there, the most impressive and unique were a few that you could actually hike behind.
This phenomena isn't all that common, but basically there was a harder layer of volcanic rock on top of a softer layer, which allowed the force of the waterfall to over time hollow out the space behind it while leaving an overhang on top. On our trip, we actually had to hike a number of miles before we actually came to one of these type of falls.
When I first saw one of these waterfalls, I was initially impressed with the majesty of this tall falls from a distance. I figured this was the only way to enjoy it, but soon realized that there was a path that would allow you to walk behind the falls. It was a thrilling prospect that became even more exciting the closer you got to it, opening up new perspectives and experiences.
Eventually, you finally get directly behind the waterfall itself. Here, basically everyone stopped for at least a moment. I was there for a little while, and was quite inspired by the sensations. You get a distinct sense of the immense power of the waterfall as you stand so close behind listening to the roar of the water and feeling some of it's spray. The air in that area feels more refreshing then elsewhere, no doubt thanks to the extra moisture. As you look out through the water, the rest of the world is still somewhat visible, though it is kind of obscured and diminished in a way.
As I eventually emerged from behind the falls, I appreciated how my perspective had changed. I was able to notice some different things in the environment than before, and to appreciate the waterfall in a whole new way. Also, you were able to continue on a new path after going behind the waterfall than you could have accessed before you went in.
As we came to the next of these type of falls, the experience was in many ways quite similar to the first time, but there were some subtle differences that could be appreciated. The height and width of this falls was a bit different, and the surroundings presented a different scene. Still, these were joys that were probably lost on some who thought that it was basically just the same thing as what we had seen before.
While the waterfalls were amazing and rewarding in and of themselves, the thing that made the experience much more special and meaningful was getting to share it with my family, both nuclear and extended. Hearing their impressions and sharing that experience with them made it much richer.
| Some of the family enjoying the view through the falls |
The week after the reunion, I attended the Mount Timpanogos temple for a session. As I sat in the Celestial Room, I happened to be facing the large window that takes up one side of the room. It is quite an interesting window, and I have often found myself contemplating it. I again found myself studying it after my normal meditations on this trip. I've always found it interesting how down the center panel that descends from the central circle motiff is filled with large air bubbles. As I looked at it, I was struck the the impression that I was again sitting behind a waterfall, though this time the fall was a spiritual one. To me, this window panel looks very much like a representation of a waterfall of the spirit pouring out from heaven.
While this window could be seen and to some extent admired from the outside, you can only appreciate it's truly detailed beauty from inside. Similarly, the outside world often admires the great exterior beauty of the temple, but the vast majority miss out on the majesty and amazing power that can be experienced inside. As with our waterfall hike, one must actively seek out the temple. A plan must be made, and often at some significant personal cost, effort must be expended to take advantage of the proffered opportunity. And yet, when you are able to see out from behind that downpour of the Spirit, everything becomes very much worth it. The refreshment and renewed perspective you receive more than compensate for any sacrifices that might be required. And when we emerge, we are again able to walk new paths and experience the world outside in different ways.
The miracle is that we are also able to learn and realize new things in our temple experience each time we return, though we hear and do the same things each time, much as I found when I went behind the second waterfall on our hike. I also found, that though I was alone at the temple this time, it is again my family that makes the process of temple worship even more splendid and meaningful. And this time, the experience draws me closer not only to my living family, but also my deceased ancestors as well as my unborn posterity. Even when I am there alone, I often feel a much greater closeness to all my relatives in the temple than anywhere else.
| View through the waterfall |
My thoughts were then drawn to a few experiences on the hike that show how easy it is for many people to nearly miss out on or go astray from the opportunities that the temple provides. The first came as we emerged from behind the first of the falls. At this waterfall, you could walk a short distance out the opposite side after you went behind the waterfall before you needed to turn around and cross back behind the waterfall and return on the original path.
Apparently, my dad was returning from this short walk-around as my mom had just emerged from behind the falls for the first time. She asked him if there were more waterfalls to see farther on down that side path, to which he said yes, thinking she was asking if there were more waterfalls to see on the trail in general. With this erroneous information, Mom ended up tramping out a ways into the woods after the trail ended thinking dad was telling her there was more to see in that direction. I had been a little ways behind Mom, and had wondered where she'd gone after reaching the end of the little trail, but I ended up just turning around, only learning later what I should have realized at the time that Mom had gotten lost. In the same way, miscommunication or poor understanding in families or the church, even among those who have shared temple experiences, can cause individuals to become separated or even lost in the wilderness. When we notice something like this happening, even in the way I did on the trail with just the small passing thought that Mom had strangely disappeared, we should immediately make real efforts to correct the mistake and help the person.
Next, I thought about how at one point Dad was ahead of the group and missed a small sign indicating a waterfall we were looking for. Someone saw it in our group, but we realized that Dad had doubtless missed it. I volunteered to run ahead and find him while the others went on the the falls. As I ran ahead for about a half mile, I stopped long enough to ask a few groups of hikers coming from the other direction if they had seen a man fitting Dad's description. Each gave me an estimate of how far ahead he was, which in turn gave me hope and allowed me to determine how hard I needed to push myself. Eventually, I was able to catch him, and we reconnected with the group after stopping to see the waterfall we missed.
In a like manner, there are many who stray from the main body of the family or church for a plethora of reasons. It's essential to do all we can to rescue these people and bring them back to the group. In that process, it's important to work with others, both in and out of the church, who can help direct our efforts.
The last parallel I drew was almost at the very end of our hike. We had just passed behind the last waterfall, had turned a corner, and were proceeding up a pretty steep and narrow staircase. A man who was coming from the other direction was carefully passing around us on one side and asked it the trip was worth it, as he had a semi-frail mother and some small children following behind him. We assure
d him that they were almost through the tricky part and would very shortly have enjoy a wonderful experience. With that assurance, they proceeded forward.
As endowed members of the church, it's very important that we encourage those who are struggling toward the temple. We should reassure them when they face doubts and consider turning back. We must testify with confidence that the path of repentance, no matter what the limitations or circumstances the person faces, are, is most certainly worth the blessings that usually lie closer at hand than is imagined.
It was a good experience in the temple. I realized that it is my responsibility to do more to help others receive temple blessings and access and appreciate the down-pouring of the Spirit there. I know I have been very blessed to enjoy those blessing myself, and I'm so grateful for them!
![]() |
| Mount Timpanogos Celestial Room |



No comments:
Post a Comment